Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Let's Start Cooking!

Although I love going out to restaurants and sampling foods from around the world, there is nothing so comforting as cooking a nice hearty meal at home and enjoying it at the dinner table with family and friends. The aromas of the kitchen remind me of growing up on the farm -- hey wait, I didn't grow up on a farm! Even so, for me the wonderful smells of homestyle cooking evoke a simpler time when people's lives were not so fast and furious as they are today for so many of us.

There is no reason that home cooking can't be wonderfully tasty and, yes, even gourmet, without spending lots of money or hours in the kitchen. Remember the movie "Ratatouille"? What finally prompted the snooty food critic to give a rave review was a simple meal that brought him back to his childhood. There's a reason for those favorite comfort foods -- they were good, they were made with love, and they sustained us. What more could you ask?

These days we are all looking to economize. But there is no need to sacrifice flavor. Following is a very simple recipe, that is wonderfully tasty, filling, and inexpensive, and it takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. It's a recipe that came to me while wheeling my shopping cart past the meat section in the supermarket -- I spotted those 1-pound Kielbasa sausages, for about $5 each, and somehow knew just what I wanted to make with one. Click on the link to see slides that will take you through this recipe step by step:

Kielbasa and Cabbage

I promise you, this is a very tasty meal! Enjoy!

--Linda

No comments: